Monday, March 10, 2008

The Finnish Scene

Inspired by my recent acquisition of Cumbeast's new album and my affection for Torsofuck, I decided to look more deeply into the small but growing scene in Finland, a country long known for its black metal (Beherit, Sargeist, Horna, Behexen) and old school death (Demigod, Adramelech, Demilich) but not much for its brutal death metal. Here are the fruits of my research. Thanks to Ehrsatzmessiah from deathmetal.us for his assistance in this.

Torsofuck - I've been a fan of this band for a while, although I've had a hard time finding their releases. Ultrasick slam with some Goregrind influence. VERY heavy stuff.

Cumbeast - I've only heard Gourmet of Ill Shit which is really good, and I've been told their debut album is even better. Very good Soils of Fate sounding stuff with hardcore and even rap tinges. Somewhat ridiculous at times but if you wanted something serious you wouldn't buy a CD from a band called Cumbeast

Lithuria - Lively slam that sounds like Devourment and Dying Fetus plus some old school touches. Loses some points for generic vocals but the riffs are tight and interesting.

Kataplexia - Blasting brutal band with a rather Californian sound similar to that reminds me of slightly less technical Disgorge and Cenotaph - Reincarnation in Gorextasy. One of the few brutal bands I have heard that uses solos which I am a fan of.

Inimicality
- Another band that sounds like it was influenced by CADM, Inimicality are rather new, although most of the band members have participated in other projects. I can hear influence from Inherit Disease, Intestinal Strangulation and Defeated Sanity. They have only released a demo but it sounds very impressive.

Tamakeri - Surprisingly melodic riffs and catchy grooves are interspersed with your usual crushing slams. Very headbangable and surprisingly good.

Virulent Blessing - Technical brutal death plus some experimental parts. This isn't for everyone but I think it's pretty cool. It can be a little jarring at times. I recommend at least giving it a shot as I have a feeling that some people will like it and some won't.

My overall impression of Finnish BDM is quite good. It sounds like they have a good core group of talented musicians and there is a little bit from all parts of the brutal death spectrum. I wouldn't say there is anything truly outstanding, but the average band is very quality compared to say the Phillipines, which has some fantastic bands, but a few bad ones as well.


2 comments:

riffin said...

Don't know if you have a digital copy of the torso fuck or not but just in case here's their 2004 releases:

http://rapidshare.com/files/70316251/Torsofuck_EDF_04_kirampdayiniz.rar

password: http://krampdeath.blogspot.com

Yup, the password is the the blog I got this from.

riffin said...

Well, I guess the dl link is too long for the comment section so just go to the blog if you need this.